I had some pork chops that needed to be cooked, but I really wanted mac and cheese. So I decided to make an adult mac and cheese style pasta dish with pork and herbs. My family loved it! I hope you will, too. 🙂
- 16 oz box penne, cooked to package directions and reserved in pasta pot
- 1 lb boneless pork loin (I used a 6 pack of boneless chops), cubed
- 1 cup sweet white wine
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 Tbs chopped Rosemary leaves
- 2 Tbs chopped Sage leaves
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Mozzerella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Cream cheese
- 1/8 cup shredded Applewood Smoked Gouda
- 1/4 to 1/8 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Mix the salt and pepper in a small container. Pour over cubed meat and massage with fingers to coat.
Melt half the butter in a large skillet. Add herbs and garlic. Stir until fragrant.
Add the pork. Arrange in pan so that all the cubes touch the bottom of the pan. Allow to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn pork over and cook another 4 to 5 minutes. Stir until white on all sides and firm. Spoon out pork, leaving as much liquid in pan as possible.
Add rest of butter. When melted, add the flour and whisk smooth. Add wine and pasta water to pan. Whisk until combined. Add the milk and whisk until heated through. Turn off the heat and add the cheese. Stir until melted, and adjust seasoning as needed.
To the pasta pot, add the pork and all the cheese sauce. Stir until well combined. Pour pasta into a large baking dish. Sprinkle more mozzarella and grated parmesan over top. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook 5 more minutes, until the cheese sauce starts to bubble.
Remove from oven and let sit 5 or 10 minutes, then serve.